December 29, 2009

Ranma 1/2

Ranma 1/2
Rumiko Takahashi
****1/2

I'm sorry that I haven't done book posts in a while. I have read a lot of books since my last post and I admit it, I was feeling lazy and didn't post. But my dad said I should at least post the 5 most recent books.

Ranma Saotome and his father have been living in China for years. One day, Mr. Saotome decides to take Ranma to a training ground full of cursed springs. They start to fight on top of the poles and Mr. Saotome falls into a spring where a panda had died 2000 years before and takes the panda's body. Then Ranma falls down into a spring where a young girl drowned 1500 years before and takesHER body. So now: If in cold water, Ranma turns to a girl. In hot water, he turns back into a boy. But how will Ranma live his life with this curse?

I really like this book because it is a graphic novel. But almost all Japanese or Korean graphic novels are read backwards. I find that a little bit more than confusing. But this book is published in a western format. A lot easier to read, you think?

My favorite part of the story is when Ranma meets Ryouga Hibiki, a classmate from his old high school (who has the worst sense of direction humanly possible) and discuss their "bread feud": In the cafeteria, it was always a race to get the last curry bread of the day. Ranma gets it and makes Ryouga mad. Then Ranma gets the last of the rest of the breads: sweet bean, chow mein, croquette, melon, cutlet sandwich, meat, and seaweed bread. Ryouga has pledged to get back at Ranma for that and 2 years later, has a showdown with him. This book is an excellent graphic novel! I hope you read it!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Early on I was not a fan of graphic novels, but then after going through a couple, I'm enjoying them. I really take the time to interpret the graphics, and it seems to access a different part of my brain straight forward reading does not.

Your dad is right. Keep posting.

mh

Valentina said...

I started getting interested in graphic novels since Mom and Dad showed me the Archie comics! Since then,I've been reading Garfield and Snoopy!
Go Garfield!!

Maya ♥ said...

3 CHEERS FOR GARFIELD!! :D