January 12, 2010

Trust


Yesterday, I was finishing up my homework on the floor in my parents bedroom when my sister asked my dad for a flashdrive. I was jealous for a few reasons: (1) my flashdrive is really old and doesn't have a lot of space left on it (2) has been through the washing machine twice and I don't think works anymore (3) I don't know why my sister needs one anyway. My dad willingly agreed. Then I thought, 'Hey. My sister asked really nicely for a flashdrive and she got it. Maybe if I ask really nicely I can get the laptop that I wanted for Christmas...or better yet, offer to pay more than half the price!' So I asked my dad,

"Daddy, I am willing to pay more than half the price for a laptop or new iPod, since mine is wearing out and all."

Ok. I realize that wasn't exactly a question, but was a pretty good offer. My dad was about to say something when my sister said,

"Oh ya! Daddy? Do you know those new nanos that have the video camera on the back? Can I please have one of those? They have a plug-in for headphones so you can listen by yourself, or you can take the headphones out and it will play through this special speaker! My friend has one and she said they are really cool. Plus they come in different colors!"

Then my dad said to her, "Well, that is something to hope to get for your birthday." Then he looked at me. "Maya, how many times have you lost your phone?" I didn't really like where this conversation was going. "Um...3 times?" "Do you think that you deserve a laptop at the moment?" I was really not liking this. "Um...no?" "I am glad that you are willing to help pay for the laptop, but the truth is, I was going to get you one for Christmas, but your mother and I have decided that we can't trust you." Now I was kind of confused. "What?" "Your mother feels like she has to lock the office door to keep you from using the computer there! Do you know how that makes us feel?" I was a bit shocked. "You have to show more responsibility before you can get things like that. Maybe you should follow your sister's example. She hasn't lost her phone ONCE. So if we can learn to trust you, maybe you will get one." Then he left.

So, I think, the whole point of that speech was to tell me to: (1) get my act together (2) do something that will get my parents trust back (3) to now copy Cecily (4) to not lose my phone anymore. So basically, don't expect anything if you can't follow the rules.

5 comments:

Andrew S. said...

I can't believe that your parents don't trust you, well my parents wouldn't let me have my fourth cell phone since I have one for different countries. Why would your parents want you to be like your sister!

Maya ♥ said...

I have no idea. Probably because she is practically perfect.

Anonymous said...

Maya you sound very insightful. What things were you doing to break your parent's trust that you have to "get" it back? What's this business about locking you away from the computer?

Maya ♥ said...

Who are you? :/

hellenj said...

Hey, I'm Hellen. What's up with locking you away from the computer? I think that your parents could be true about not trusting you enough because Ipods or laptops could be pretty expensive but it's not fair for you to have to be like your sis.