October 11, 2009

Savvy

Savvy
Ingrid Law
*****
Mibs Beaumont is about to turn thirteen. It is a really exciting thing for the Beaumont's because when you turn thirteen, you get your savvy. Mibs really wants a good savvy and has been praying for one all of her life, but when Papa gets in an accident, Mibs starts to pray for a savvy that will wake her unconcious father up. So she hops aboard a bus bound for Salina with her brothers Fish and Sampson and the preachers kids, Bobbi and Will Jr. But what happens when the bus goes the wrong way? How will she ever be able to save Papa now? 

My favorite part of the story is when Lill finds a motel open and books some rooms for everyone. Lill makes Bobbi and Mibs call their parents, and Bobbi has a plan. She starts off calling the boys room and talking to air, then walks over to the boys room as Mibs picks up and does such a freakishly good imitation of Mrs. Rosemary, that Lill thinks that she is actually talking to her! This is a great story about friendship and perseverence.

3 comments:

Hyun Jin said...

I haven't read Savvy yet, but it sounds like a great book. But what is a savvy? That's something I was curious while reading your extract. I would like to try this over the break. Can I get it at the library? I can't wait to start reading. Hopefully I'll enjoy as much as you do.

Middle School Si Won said...

I haven't ready Savvy, but my little sister has. She said it is a really good book and by your review, it does sound good. I might want to try it as well. Nice Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Nora Trapp said...

This book sounds really cool! Where is the father right now? Is the father a young age? It must be really hard for Mibs to go through this... Awesome Job!