October 15, 2009

Darts

Maya Petersen
10-1-09
Personal Narrative


Darts



“You did WHAT?!”
“Sorry.”
“HOW?!”
“Well, we were playing and…I am really sorry Mom.”
“JUST TELL ME HOW IT HAPPENED?!”

Christmas happened. We just had to drive all the way to Darlington, South Carolina for me to cause an accident. Nyles, my little cousin, had come over to play with my sister and me.
“Hi. Cecily and I just got here and were waiting for you to come over.” I welcomed. “What do you want to do?”
“For a change, something fun.”
“What is your idea of fun?”
I am really sorry for asking that question.

He found that stupid Nerf gun in the closet. It was the kind of gun that had a pocket for 15 foamy suction-cup darts that really, I mean really, suck.
“What are we going to shoot at?” I asked.
“What else? The bathroom door!”
I hate to say this, but that was one of the most entertaining hours I have ever had in my life. We shot the peeling door, and when that got boring, shot the door when someone was inside of the bathroom. When Cecily got the worn-out swivel chair from the den, we got another fantastic idea.
“WAHOO!!” Nyles screeched.
We twisted down the rough wood hall in the swivel chair, Nyles and I equipped with guns, with Cecily pushing us. Screaming and hollering, we had a whale of a time. Until we got caught. We careened into the den, spinning and swirling. Laughing, I pulled the trigger. But at the wrong thing.

“It’s going for the computer! I have to stop it!” I screamed in panic. I leaped of the chair and chased after the speeding dart.
“Wait, Maya!” Nyles screamed as he jumped out after me. “I will catch it and save the day!”
He must have been having a bad day. He was trying so hard, but tripped over his own shoelaces. What was my sister doing to help? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! She had climbed into the chair and was sitting there, watching with her big brown eyes, absorbing the scene. Jumping in front of the dart, I shut my eyes, expecting to be hit.

“Maya!”
I cautiously opened one eye.
“You can open your eyes now! The dart hit the computer but it didn’t break.”
My eyes shot open and blinked in surprise.
“Really?”
“Really.” Nyles whispered in my ear. “Now all I have to do is pull it of the screen.” He shoved me out of the way and put his hands on the dart.
“No Nyles! WAIT! THAT CAN BREAK THE COMPUTER!!”
It was too late. He yanked, but the dart didn’t move. His eyebrows furrowed in frustration. He pulled again, but a little harder, but the dart wouldn’t budge.
“NYLES!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” I screamed.
“I AM TRYING TO GET THE DART OF THE COMPUTER!!” he shouted back.
With all of his strength, he jerked at the dart.
“WAIT!!!”
CRASH!!! The screen had completely shattered. Nyles had let go of the dart and it was rolling away under the couch. Broken wires and circuits were sparking and snapping. I was still holding the gun in my hand, completely in shock.

“MOMMY!! MAYA BROKE THE COMPUTER!!” Cecily screamed.
“I DID NOT, YOU LITTLE TWERP!” I fumed, completely confused.
My mom and my grandma came running in the room.

“MAYA PETERSEN!!! WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE COMPUTER!?” She rushed over and gently touched the frame as if it was her kid or something.
“NYLES, DID YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS?” my grandma asked impatiently, eyeing us is disgust.
“No ma’am. I promise. Maya shot the dart and it broke the computer.” That little liar was good, because my mom believed him.
“MAYA, YOU ARE GROUNDED FOR THE REST OF THIS HAPPY LITTLE TRIP! GO TO YOUR ROOM RIGHT NOW!”

So I sat there, in my room, not going to dinner or coming out for breakfast the next day. I was too embarrassed. Surely my dad had heard the story now. Luckily and unluckily he was gone picking up pizza when I had the accident, but mom probably had explained the situation to him. I wonder if I will survive the rest of the trip.

3 comments:

Hyun Jin said...

Oh my god, that's hilarious! You broke a computer with a nerf gun! Well, if I did that, I would've been dead. And your cousin Nyles is really annoying. You should get revenge.

Michael said...

Nice job getting your personal narrative published, Maya. We've all got to do this...maybe Monday.

Have you seen Zoe's or Gillian's videos? Very cute.

mjh

Emma said...

I would never even play with a nerf gun because my parents would realy kill me when I would do it. Nice job.