August 23, 2009

Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising
Pam Munoz Ryan
*****
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan is one of the best books I've read! Esperanza Ortega lives her life wonderfully on El Rancho De Las Rosas in Aguacalientes, Mexico until Papa dies and her evil uncles set the ranch on fire. Mama and Esperanza are forced to go to a Mexican Labor Camp in California. But when Mama comes down with Valley Fever, Esperanza must learn how to be brave, patient, and self-reliant as she goes on the mountains and valleys of her ever-changing life.
My favorite part of the story is when Abuelita gets well and comes to California to join Esperanza, Mama, Hortensia, Alfonso, Miguel, Juan, and Josefina after an injury. I highly recommend that you read this book!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!I hope i read that book.I think it will be my favorite book too. What a brave girl she was.

Michael said...

Maya, I've always wanted to read this book, but it never made it to the top of my reading list. This posting inspires me to check it out and give it a go. Should I read this to the class after Hank?